This half day course is designed for workers who know their way around the benefits system but who want to add to their problem-solving skills and their ability to help clients who have vexing or complex benefits problems.
As advice resources face cuts in the run-up to the biggest changes in the benefits system for decades, and a whole new range of benefits is poised for introduction, it’s vital that clients’ benefits are as orderly and accurate as possible. Appeal times are set to double, so unravelling complicated cases without having to resort to appeals or referral to another agency is a growing element of good working practice.
This session is an opportunity for you to:
- Get some practical input on how to handle your complicated cases
- Share ideas and resources with other workers in a similar position
- Gain information about websites that will really help you
- Refresh and update your knowledge at the same time
To get the most from this course, you will need the following:
- A good working knowledge of the different benefits available and the rules for claiming them
- Familiarity with the calculation of applicable amounts, the rules governing premiums, and the principles behind tax credits and employment and support allowance
- Some precise and anonymised information relating to your clients that can be discussed openly in a group without betraying rules of confidentiality
- An understanding that the case studies will be used as a learning tool for the whole group, and that I will use them in ways which will increase the understanding of all the group members.