This one day overview course takes you through the maze of benefits that can be claimed by people with disabilities, untangles the criteria, rules and principles for each one, and shows you how they all fit together.
By the end of the course you will be familiar with all the main disability-related benefits, and you will be able to predict which benefits are appropriate in many different circumstances and how to claim them with maximum chances of success. You will understand the likely impact of welfare reform on disabled people, and will have practical skills to support your clients through a period of change and uncertainty.
Through a mixture of notes, exercises, discussion and groupwork, we will cover the following essential benefits:
- The abolition of DLA and the introduction of the new Personal Independence Payment
- Carers Allowance and other help for carers
- Employment and Support Allowance – a complete guide to all aspects
- Incapacity Benefit and Income Support, and the re-assessment of these claims under the new ESA regime
- Claiming Tax Credits and HB / CTB with disability in the family
- The impact of welfare reform and the consequences of change for your working practices
Who should attend?
This is a basic level course, aimed at unravelling the disability benefits system, and would improve the knowledge and skills of anyone working with disabled people who are on benefits or low incomes.